Saturday, June 14, 2014

Katy Ogmundson Lowe Wins Best Actress at Theatre BC's FVZ Festival!

We were thrilled to host the Frazer Valley Zone Festival in May, bringing six great shows to the stage over the course of a week to compete for a spot at Theatre BC's Mainstage Festival in July. Emerald Pig Theatrical Society won for the second year in a row with The Attic, The Pearls, and Three Girls by J. Brewin, L. Chermiak, A.M. MacDonald, A. Palmer and M. Ross, directed by Amy Starkey. Congrats, you guys! If you missed that show, they are holding a fundraiser to cover Mainstage expenses on  Friday, June 20th and Saturday, June 21 at Meadowridge School (12224 240 St,  Maple Ridge). Get tickets HERE to support this award-winning production!

The Chilliwack Players Guild had a winner as well! Our very own Katy Ogmundson Lowe shared the title for best actress with Alaina Holland from The Langley Players. Here's our exclusive interview with her!
Katy is pictured here in our production of Laughing Stock.
1. What did you like the most about your role in Caliban House Sitter?
                When I read the Rick Mawson's script I knew I would have a chance to exercise my thespian chops because it combined modern conversation with plenty of quotes from Shakespeare's Tempest. Mawson's scripts strive for natural flow of dialogue, and I love working on pace and flow.
2. What went through your head when your name was called as one of the winners of best actress at the awards ceremony?
                It's weird, I worried that I misheard my name so moved slowly in case someone else was running up there. And guess what? There was! We tied! Alaina Holland from "Light Sensitive" also won. It was a hoot getting to share. Later that night I thought, we should have had a tiebreaker scene on the spot! Lol
3. What is your process as an actor? What do you do every night to prepare for a role?
                My preparation is to pick through the script with a fine tooth comb, searching for beats, even beats within beats, giving them a title, searching for the rhythm of the play.
                I search my character's posture and voice throughout the day and night. I spend a lot of time in my own head and observing myself and picking and choosing pieces of me to bring to the character. Gosh I hope that doesn't sound flighty, it's actually a very grounding experience.
                I prepare my body for the exercise of acting by staying as healthy as possible, avoiding stress and alcohol. I prepare my head by practicing staying in the moment and not letting my mind race ahead.
                I could go on but I will sign off, thanks so much for the questions, I do love this world and look forward to being a part of another project soon!

Congrats to Katy for a job well done! We look forward to seeing you again on stage sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment